Northside Walking Tour: Stained Glass
Dec. 18, 12-1 p.m.
The Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council will host a Northside walking tour, visiting two historic churches in Allegheny West
The Calvary United Methodist Church in Allegheny West was constructed from 1892-95. The families that attended the church were some of Pittsburgh’s most elite, such as the Hornes and the Scaifes. The decor of the French Gothic revival church reflects the opulence of its high society parishioners. Pews are ornately carved; the altar was modeled after Notre Dame’s altar; Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933) was commissioned to complete 30-foot stained glass windows depicting various biblical scenes.
A few blocks away from Calvary United Methodist Church is the Emmanuel Episcopal Church on 957 W North Ave. The Emmanuel Episcopal Church was built in 1884, and was designed by esteemed architect Henry Hobson Richardson (1838-1886). This church is an excellent example of Richardson’s work, featuring his signature arches and use of voussoirs, and includes a Tiffany window.
Reverend Larry Homitsky, Father Don Youse, and conservator Kirk Weaver will also be on hand to talk about the churches.
Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 day-of. To purchase tickets visit the official website.
Dec. 18, 6 p.m.-??
The bar formerly known as Recovery Room is hosting its first event as the newly christened Huszar in order to introduce new renovations and menu items.
The new name is a Hungarian military term for ‘cavalrymen’ that honors owner’s Judy Torma’s family history. The new menu items will also be Hungarian family recipes and be available for tasting on a free buffet during the event.
Live music will be provided by the Shelf Life String Band and Transcontinental Booze Hounds. The space has undergone recent renovations to the bar and seating area as well as installing a new tap system.
Huszar plans to hold events at least once a month, while undergoing improvements.