Rep. Jake Wheatley and his team were present to explain recent changes to Pennsylvania’s voter laws.

By Ashlee Green

Photo: Residents gather to celebrate Veterans Day, with catered food provided by Candy’s Catering in the Hill District. By Ashlee Green

A luncheon for veterans was held at the Steelworkers Tower in Perry Hilltop on Nov. 6. Rep. Jake Wheatley and his team were present to thank veterans for their service, sign them up for ConnectCards, and explain recent changes to Pennsylvania’s voter laws.


Veterans Willie C. Cooper, who served in Korea, Robert Schuetz, who served in Vietnam, and Donald Wilbert, who served in Vietnam and Germany. Photo by Ashlee Green

New legislation now allows voters to apply for absentee ballots 50 days out from an election, Rep. Wheatley announced at the event.

Cherene McFadden, service coordinator at the Steelworkers Tower, said there are 23 veterans living in the high-rise, including 91-year-old Willie C. Cooper, who served in Korea.

Cherene McFadden, service coordinator at Steelworkers Tower, with Willie C. Cooper, who served in Korea.

“I’m an advocate for the residents,” said McFadden, who has been working there since 2014.

Cooper, who is a double amputee, filed his first disability claim in 1958, and according to McFadden, he received 60% of his disability benefits. A hearing is scheduled, she said, to fight for the remaining 40%.

“We’re praying for a miracle,” said McFadden. “I just can’t see how they would say ‘no.’”

Northside Chronicle Town Hall Subscription