The Northside Chronicle Internship Program Guide
The Northside Chronicle interns and staff have gone on to publish in The Denver Post, The York Daily Record, The Washington Business Journal and Storyburgh.
The Northside Chronicle accepts student interns for the fall, spring and summer semesters to write community news and feature stories about Pittsburgh’s Northside. Interns will cover events, talk to Northsiders and organizations for profiles and features, and write news stories about important community developments.
No previous journalism experience is required. We’re looking for enthusiastic college students who enjoy getting to know neighborhoods and talking to people—we’ll help you out with the rest (interviewing, writing, editing).
Our newspaper has served the Northside for 25 years, and we pride ourselves on covering positive, important stories, events and people that make a difference in their communities. In addition to our monthly print edition, we run an online weekly supplement at www.thenorthsidechronicle.com.
- Ability to bus/drive out to the Northside to cover events, do interviews, and meet with us at our office (922 Middle St., Pittsburgh, Pa. 15212).
- Love of writing or desire to improve writing/communication skills.
- Interest in talking to people and learning their stories.
- Must be a college student (any year) or recent graduate.
- Ability to work 10-20 hours per week (depending on the school’s credit requirements)
We will work with the school to provide interns with college credit and mentoring. We are happy to work with interns who are interested in learning a specific skill set or how to write certain kinds of stories—just let us know what you want!
- Cover letter (include why you want to work with us, how many hours you want to work and what kind of writing you’re most interested in).
- 1-3 writing samples (published or unpublished, but must be journalistic).
Send your application materials as attachments to email@example.com. Links to electronic clips are welcome. If you don’t have a writing sample, write us a 300 word article on your home town (or a business, person or event in your hometown).
If you have questions or would like more information, please email Ashlee Green at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 412-321-3919.