State Sen. Wayne Fontana: New Voter ID law


House Bill 934 (HB 934), the Voter ID bill, passed the General Assembly and was signed into law by Governor Corbett on March 20th. As a result, this November every voter will be required to show a valid form of identification in order to vote. If you do not have a valid form of identification, the state will provide one to you at no cost. 

To obtain a valid ID you need to visit a PennDOT Driver License Center with the following paperwork:

            – PennDOT Oath/Affirmation Voter ID form

            – PennDOT DL-54A form ($13.50 fee will be waived with the Oath/Affirmation form)

            – Social Security card

– One of the following: Birth Certificate with a raised seal, Valid U.S. Passport,    Certificate of U.S. Citizenship, or Certificate of Naturalization

– Two proofs of residency, such as a lease agreement, current utility bills, mortgage documents, W-2 form, tax records, bank statements, and/or credit card bills. College students may also use room assignment paperwork and one bill with their dorm room address on it.


The following are acceptable forms of identification that will be accepted in order to vote:

– ID issued by the United States government, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, an accredited Pennsylvania public or private institution of higher learning, a Pennsylvania care facility or an employee ID issued by a municipality of Pennsylvania. All must include your name, a photograph and an expiration date that is not expired

– U.S. military ID – active duty and retired military (a military or veteran’s ID must designate an expiration date or designate that the expiration date is indefinite). Military dependents’ ID must contain an expiration date

– ID issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) that is not more than 12 months past the expiration date

– Valid-without-photo driver’s license or a valid-without-photo ID card issued by PennDOT for individuals who have a religious objection to being photographed

If you need any assistance in obtaining a valid ID, if you cannot locate your Social Security card or birth certificate or need the Oath/Affirmation and DL-54A forms, please contact one of my district offices and my staff and I will gladly assist you.

Senator Wayne D. Fontana

42nd Senatorial District

Northside Chronicle Town Hall Subscription