Photo by Alyse Horn
Each student receiving a scholarship was also given an electronic tablet provided by the Rotary Club of Pittsburgh’s Northside.
By Alyse Horn
The Northside Leadership Conference’s 31st Annual Awards dinner took place on Thursday, June 5 at the Northside Institutional Church of God in Christ.
Master of Ceremonies was Jack “Johnny Angel” Hunt, who opened the night by making sure attendees knew how the divisions of Pittsburgh are categorized.
“There’s the Northside and the outside,” Hunt said, and was greeted with chuckles from the crowd.
The evening was catered by Northside eatery Bistro-to-Go and Penn Brewery supplied the beer.
After dinner, 16 Northside high school students were awarded for their academic achievements and volunteer hours. Through the support of corporate sponsors, The Northside Leadership Conference awarded the scholarships.
The Rotary Club of Pittsburgh’s Northside awarded electronic tablets to the 16 students who received scholarships.
Numerous community and business volunteers were also awarded for their hard work in the community. Individuals presented with neighborhood awards were selected by members of their respective neighborhood organizations. Service Provider and Lifetime awards are nominated by and voted on by the Northside Leadership Board of Directors.
Presentation of Scholarship Awards and Electronic Tablet Awards
– William Billings- Spring Garden, Perry HS, Alco Parking
– Brittany Neurohr- Troy Hill, Perry HS, AGH
– Jordan Eberhardt- Brighton Heights, Perry HS, BNY Mellon
– Tashay Tigney- Spring Hill, Perry HS, Dollar Bank
– Juleeza Lopez- Spring Hill, Perry HS, ESB Bank
– Richard Bernardi- Brighton Heights, Perry HS, Fifth Third Bank
– Justyn Smith- Perry Hilltop, Perry HS, First National Bank
– Shavelle Rodgers- Troy Hill, Perry HS, First Niagara Bank
– Curby Anderson- Troy Hill, Perry HS, Huntingdon National Bank
– Rachel Banze- Observatory Hill, Vincentian Academy, Larson Design Group
– Jaime Grimm- Perry Hilltop, Perry HS, Peoples Gas
– Jamilah Younger- Brighton Heights, Oakland Catholic HS, Pittsburgh Mercy
– Symphony Kendrick- Central Northside, City Charter HS, PNC Bank
– Marcus Dean- Observatory Hill, Perry HS, Rivers Casino
– Moriah Smith- Brighton Heights, Perry HS, SSB Bank
– Brittany Fitch- Brighton Heights, Perry HS, WesBanco
Presentation of Neighborhood and Business Awards
– Allegheny City Central- Henry Reese, City of Asylum
– AGH- Allegheny Health Network Communications Department
– Allegheny West Civic Council- Jim Wallace
– Brighton Heights Citizens Federation- Susan Benn
– Brightwood Civic Group- Ginger Underwood-Herring
– Charles Street Area Council- Carol A. Johnson
– Community Alliance Spring garden East Deutschtown- Bernie Grady
– East Allegheny Community Council- Gina Grone
– Fineview Citizens Council- Robyn Doyle
– Manchester Citizens Corporation- Michelle Jones
– Observatory Hill Incorporated- Roxanne Tuinstra
– Perry Hilltop Citizens Council- Terry Pegues
– Spring Hill Civic League- Linda Wallen
– Summer Hill Citizens Committee- Margaret Shaw
– Troy Hill Citizens Incorporated- Don Donaghey
Northside Service Provider Award
– North Side Common Ministries Food Pantry
Lifetime Achievement Awards
– Bob and Jean Herbert- Spring Garden-East Deutschtown
– Doris Schwartz- Brightwood
– Gloria Sheffield- Manchester
– Gus and Stella Kalaris- Brighton Heights