On Saturday, September 15, 2018 the Alliance of Germanic Societies held it’s 9th annual Recognition Luncheon to honor both a passed and living member who promoted Germanic culture in a family-friendly environment.
Photos by Lauren Stauffer
The Alliance consists of 15 members including Deutschtown’s own Teutonia Mannerchor, Teutonia Mannerchor Club, and Deutschtown United Football Club. Plus Teutonia Damencho, Swiss American Society of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Swiss Singers, Pittsburgh District Nordamnerikanischer Sangerbund, Pittsburgh District Kinderchor, Old Economy Village, Historic Harmony, G.T.E.V. D’Lustigen Isartaler, DANK Pittsburgh Chapter, Bloomfield Liedertafel, Austrian American Cultural Society, Alpen Schuhplattler und Trachtenverein.
“We [the Alliance of Germanic Societies] are easily the largest private membership club in Pittsburgh,” said Brandon Myers, President of the Alliance since 2015, estimating close to 3,000 members.
The late Dr. Thomas Starzl, known as “the father of modern transplantation,” for performing the world’s first liver transplant in 1963 was honored with a plaque, accepted by his wife Joy Starzl.
Cor Van Maurik, in attendance, was honored in person. Maurik joined the Teutonia Mannerchor in 1957 and became the longest serving President of Teutonia Mannerchor’s 164 year history. From 1997 until 2011, Maurik helped to establish new members whom were generations removed from Germany, or had no German heritage (Cor himself noted he was included in the later category). He also helped preserve Teutonia Mannerchor’s clubhouse by pursuing a National Historic Register Building designation. In addition, Maurik oversaw the building of the parking lot, establishing the club’s website and electronic membership communication, the 150th Jubilaum (anniversary) which was the club’s first public event.