2nd Annual East Northside House Tour is Saturday, June 8, 2019 from 12-4PM
“We wanted to show off our individual neighborhoods, but as we partnered, we learned that Spring Garden, Spring Hill, East Deutschtown and Troy hill share a lot of similarities” says Abby Vanim, board member of Troy Hills Citizens Inc.
After reviving Troy Hill’s house tour event in 2017, the volunteer community group was contacted by a neighboring group down the road to collaborate and include the Spring Garden and East Deutschtown neighborhoods.
The Community Alliance of Spring Garden and East Deutschtown joined forces with Troy Hill Citizens in 2018 and this year, include a new partnership with the Spring Hill Civic League. “Working with our neighbors creates more opportunities for our communities” says Vanim, “and helps with the hurdles of organizing neighbors to open their homes each year for the groups beautification fund raising efforts.”
With stunning city views from the upper most neighborhoods to the unique urban landscape of the valley and business districts, guests for this year’s house tour will enjoy a trolley ride through each neighborhood to visit several sites including homes, gardens, and local businesses.
Points of interest this year include:
- A former factory worthy of Architectural Digest on Constance Street with stunning interior renovations and a soon-to-be completed roof deck.
- Beautiful artistic renovation of a home on Vinial Street, which is also the home of Penn Brewery, who is providing samples of their craft beers throughout the tour stops.
- Traditional craftsman style home renovation behind Provident Charter School, who’s opening in the former North Catholic has attracted new homeowners to the area.
- Lovingly renovated and updated house on Haslage Avenue, featuring a fantastic art collection and gorgeous garden with murals by a local artist.
- St. Anthony’s Chapel will be open for guests to tour the historic structure that houses the largest collection of Christian relics outside the Vatican.
Participants are invited to Threadbare Cider and Mead on Spring Garden Avenue after the tour for a free glass of rosé cider with their house tour booklet.
Starting point and check in for the house tour is at Provident Charter School, 1400 Troy Hill Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15212. Trolley service is provided between neighborhoods.
Tickets are $15: www.eventbrite.com/eastnorthsidepgh2019
Tickets can also be purchased on-site at Provident Charter School on June 8th.
This article is sponsored by the East Northside House Tour. A partnership of three 501(3)c neighborhood non-profits including Troy Hill Citizens Inc., Community Alliance of Spring Garden and East Deutschtown, and Spring Hill Civic League. All proceeds are split evenly between the volunteer-run community groups and raised funds are used for beautification projects in their respective neighborhoods. Additional sponsors of this program include Wesbanco, Penn Brewery, Provident Charter School, Wigle Whiskey and Threadbare Cider & Mead.