The Northside Chronicle seeks an editor for an immediate start.
The Managing Editor is in charge of the day-to-day operations of the paper as it relates to editorial and online content of the print and online editions. Duties include but are not limited to: report and write stories and content for monthly edition of the newspaper and the weekly online edition/website; coordinate intern and volunteer writer submissions; manage web content and weekly online edition; layout and edit print edition; and deliver the print edition each month.
Degree in journalism preferred, will consider communications degree. Must have experience reporting for a college or local newspaper; managerial experience preferred. Experience with InDesign required, Photoshop preferred. Must have own vehicle.
Salaried position. Excellent benefits package including healthcare, 401(k), vacation and sick days. Please submit a cover letter, three published clips, resume and references to editor (at) thenorthsidechronicle (dot) com with “Managing Editor” in the subject line. Serious inquiries only.
See below for full job description.
The Managing Editor is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the newspaper as it relates to the editorial content of the print and online editions. These duties include: report and produce content for monthly edition of the newspaper and the weekly online edition/website; coordinate volunteer and freelance writer submissions; manage web content and weekly online edition; layout and edit print edition; and deliver the print edition each month.
- Plan stories and have ultimate decision on editorial content
- Assist in planning for and implementation of special editions
- Design the newspaper and lay out editorial copy for each issue
- Ensure timely publication of the paper by coordinating with its printer
- Produce stories for the print and online editions
- Find and maintain community and city sources
- Develop new story ideas and research their viability
- Follow up on previously reported stories
- Coordinate and assign stories to contributing writers and interns
- Receive and edit submitted editorial copy
- Manage the newspaper’s web presence by updating thenorthsidechronicle.com and putting together the weekly email edition
- Manage recruitment of interns and contributors
- Deliver the newspaper to its drop-off points
- Manage recordkeeping of important documents
- Update the newspaper’s business plan as necessary
- Design and implement new products as necessary
- Act as a representative to the community on behalf of the newspaper
- Attend community events or meetings as necessary for reporting or general marketing purposes
- Ensure that vision and mission of the paper is carried out